General FAQ

General Questions

How can a student apply for Wisconsin state financial aid from HEAB?

Students need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for State of Wisconsin need-based assistance.

Why must a student file the FAFSA, a federal form, in order to be eligible for state grants?

The federal Department of Education passes applicable student information for Wisconsin residents to HEAB. Student and parental financial information provided on the FAFSA determines the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is included in the formulas developed by HEAB each year to calculate WHEG, WTG, and TIP awards.

Is registration with Selective Service required?

Male students seeking financial aid from the State of Wisconsin OR from the US Department of Education are required to register with the United States Selective Service System (SSS) By registering online or by US Mail, students remain eligible not just for student aid, but for other federal loans, many job training programs, and other opportunities.

Which state grants serve the largest number of students?

The Wisconsin Grant (WG)is the primary financial aid programs administered by HEAB. The WG population includes students attending two and four year UW campuses, Wisconsin Technical Colleges, non-profit independent colleges and universities based in Wisconsin and Tribal Colleges.

Where can a student get applications for the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG) or the Wisconsin Tuition Grant (WTG)?

The FAFSA is the only application students need to complete to be considered for WHEG or WTG.

What is the difference between HEAB and the Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation?

HEAB is the state agency that administers state funded financial aid programs. The Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation is a private, non-profit corporation that is the designated guarantor for the federal student loan programs (Stafford, PLUS, etc.). Any questions regarding a student's federal loans should be directed to the Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation.