MN-WI Tuition Reciprocity

Who should use this application?

Wisconsin residents attending Minnesota public institutions

The Minnesota/Wisconsin reciprocity agreement allows Wisconsin residents to attend Minnesota public universities at in-state tuition rates.

This online reciprocity application is designed for Wisconsin residents attending Minnesota public institutions. Applying online through our application is the easiest way to apply for reciprocity benefits. However, if you prefer not to apply online, a hard copy of the application is available for download below.

Who should not use this application?

Minnesota residents

Minnesota residents should apply through the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.

Minnesota stand-alone technical college students

Students attending a Minnesota stand-alone Technical College SHOULD NOT USE THIS APPLICATION. Instead, apply directly to the college. Private colleges do NOT participate in the tuition reciprocity program because they do not charge non-resident tuition rates.

Certain professions in both states

Professional students enrolling in a Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Sciences, or Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program in the public institutions of either state are ineligible for reciprocity tuition.


Please read

  • Carefully read the application instructions page before completing the application.
  • Applications must be submitted by the established deadline, which is the last day of classes at the college the applicant is or will be attending, in the semester for which this benefit is needed. For example: the Fall 2024 deadline will be the last date of the last class in December 2024. Remember, there is an application deadline, and applications will not be processed retroactively.
  • There is an automatic renewal process in which a student granted the reciprocity benefit who earns at least one credit during either the Fall semester or Spring semester at the school for which they are approved, and is reported by the school to HEAB via our enrollment report verification, will have their reciprocity benefit renewed for the upcoming academic year at the same school. The student must have been enrolled under the Reciprocity program. Study abroad programs do not count as being enrolled under the Reciprocity program. If you are unsure of your Reciprocity Status, it is advisable to complete a new application and receive an updated approval letter.
  • Students who transfer to a different Minnesota school, either at the start of a new semester or a new academic year, must reapply for reciprocity.
  • Students who do not attend during the academic year at the college for which the benefit was approved must reapply for the Reciprocity program.
  • Students are responsible for keeping HEAB informed of status changes which may affect their Wisconsin residency eligibility.
  • Students who want to attend two or more Minnesota schools at the same time must submit a paper application. Write "Dual Enrollment" in the Additional Comments section.
  • Students who are currently enrolled at a Minnesota institution / campus and want to attend a second Minnesota institution / campus must submit a paper application. Write "Dual Enrollment" in the Additional Comments section.


Section 7 (b) of the Federal Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. 52a) requires that when any federal, state, or local government agency asks you to disclose your social security number you must be advised whether that disclosure is mandatory or voluntary, by what statutory or other authority the number is solicited, and what uses will be made of it. Accordingly, you are being advised that disclosure of your social security number is voluntary. Your social security number will be used to verify your identity, and as an identifier on your file in order to record necessary data accurately. As an identifier, the social security number is used in the reciprocity program for such purposes as processing the application form, program evaluation and reporting, and notification of student eligibility to colleges.

Pursuant to Wisconsin Statute 39.42, you are hereby informed that the information supplied in the process of this application will be used as follows: (1) in the processing and verification of the data supplied to determine the applicant's eligibility for this program; (2) for compilation and analysis of summary data relative to this program; (3) for dissemination of information to the educational institutions authorized by the student. You are not legally required to supply the requested information; however, failure to submit requested data may prevent further processing of the application. The only entities authorized by the law to receive this data are educational institutions at which you are seeking admittance, the appropriate administrative agency located in the state of the educational institution you attend, and auditors.

The application for a new academic year is available in the February preceding the new academic year (i.e. the application for the 2024-25 academic year; available in February 2024).

Apply online

OR download a hard copy of the application:

How to turn a paper document into a PDF with your phone or tablet